Note: These Official Rules were updated as of June 28, 2013.
Summary of updates to Official Rules: The dates set forth in the original set of Official Rules have been extended to give entrants additional time to submit entries to this Contest. This extension to the entry period necessitated extending the remaining dates for all other Contest activities. Please see the newly revised key dates for the Contest in the chart set forth in Section 2 of the Official Rules below.
Operation Innovation: “Make Americans Healthier” Challenge
No Purchase Necessary TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE IN THIS CONTEST. A Purchase OF ANY KIND WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR Chances Of Winning.
THIS IS A SKILL-BASED CONTEST. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY / RELEASE OF LIABILITY / PRIZE ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT MAY BE REQUIRED. SPONSOR OBTAINS RIGHTS FROM ENTRANTS TO POST AND USE ANY AND ALL CONTENT SUBMITTED AS PART OF THE CONTEST. ONLINE ENTRY ONLY AND INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED. FINALISTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO TRAVEL TO CHICAGO, IL, ON OR ABOUT AUGUST 30, 2013, OR WILL FORFEIT THEIR RIGHT TO RECEIVE THE TRIP PRIZE.
THIS CONTEST IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED, ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH FACEBOOK, INC. (“FACEBOOK”).
BY ENTERING (OR OTHERWISE PARTICIPATING) IN THE CONTEST, YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH CREATE A CONTRACT SO READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING. WITHOUT LIMITATION, SUCH CONTRACT INCLUDES GRANTS OF RIGHTS AND INDEMNITIES TO SPONSOR FROM YOU, A CLASS ACTION WAIVER, A MANDATORY ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
1. Eligibility. The Operation Innovation: “Make Americans Healthier” Challenge (the “Contest”) is open only to individuals (not groups) who are legal residents and physically located in one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, who are at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry. Employees, officers and directors of Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (“Sponsor”, “us” or “we”), Blue Cross and Blue Shield member companies, their parent companies, and each of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, distributors and other prize suppliers (collectively, the “Contest Entities”), and each of such employees’, officers’ and directors’ immediate family members and/or those living in the same household (whether legally related or not), are not eligible to enter the Contest or win a prize. For purposes of this Contest, immediate family members are defined as spouse, partner, parents, legal guardians, in-laws, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren and those living in the same household shall mean people who share the same residence at least three (3) months a year, whether legally related or not. Void where prohibited by law. By entering or participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these “Official Rules” and the decisions of the Judges (defined below) and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest, including, without limitation, interpretation of the Official Rules.
2. Contest Dates. The Contest begins on or about 12:01 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) on April 15, 2013 and ends with the public announcement of the Winner(s) (defined below) on or about September 5, 2013 (“Contest Period”). During the Contest Period, there are a series of related deadlines and events which start and end on or about the dates set forth in the chart below:
IMPORTANT CONTEST DATES:
CONTEST ENTRY SUBMISSION PERIOD (“Entry Period”):
12:01 a.m. CT on April 15, 2013
11:59 p.m. CT on July 31, 2013
JUDGING PERIOD (the “Judging Period”):
August 1, 2013 – August 7, 2013
UP TO THREE (3) POTENTIAL FINALISTS NOTIFIED:
August 7, 2013 – August 11, 2013
FINALISTS ANNOUNCED PUBLICLY:
August 12, 2013 – August 15, 2013
IN-PERSON PRESENTATION BY FINALISTS IN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (the “Presentations”):
On or about August 30, 2013
September 5, 2013
3. How to Enter. To participate and enter this Contest, individuals will need a Facebook account (“Account”). If you don’t already have an Account, visit www.facebook.com to create an Account; creating an Account is free. By submitting your information and creating an Account, you will be required to agree to the Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and Data Use Policy. If you do not agree to Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and Data Use Policy, you cannot create an Account or participate in this Contest. Once logged into your Account, to enter the Contest, during the Entry Period, visit the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/BCBSAssociation (the “Contest Website”) and “like” (or have previously “liked”) Sponsor’s Facebook Page throughout the remainder of the Contest Period. Next, click on the Contest ad on the Contest Website and entrants can then enter the Contest through the application (the “Application”) that interacts with the Contest Website by giving permission to the Application to collect entrant’s information from entrant’s Facebook profile. The Application will contain a description of the Contest and the official entry form. Each entrant will be asked to submit an official entry form, which may include, among other things, his/her full name, email address, date of birth and related registration information as prompted. Additionally, entrants must submit a video (each a “Submission”) that is up to three (3) minutes in length that explains what you would do in your home, your hometown, or even across the country to make Americans healthier (“Submission”). For the purpose of this Contest, a Submission is a video file that follows the technical, creative, and legal requirements disclosed on the Contest Website and elsewhere in these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Content Guidelines (defined below). Entrant must complete and submit the entry form with all required information, along with the Submission, for the entry to be eligible.
Limit of one (1) entry per person for the Contest. A Submission may, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, be rejected if it fails to follow the technical, creative, and legal requirements disclosed on the Contest Website, Application and elsewhere in these Official Rules. All eligible Submissions to the Contest accompanied by a fully completed entry form will be an entry in the Contest. For purposes of this Contest, an online entry is “received” when the Contest Application’s servers record the entry information and submission. Proof of sending (such as an automated computer receipt confirming entry or “thanks for entering” message) does not constitute proof of actual receipt of an entry for purposes of this Contest. The database clock of Sponsor’s Application will be the official timekeeper for the Contest. Those who do not follow all of the instructions, provide the required information in their entry form, or abide by these Official Rules or other instructions of Sponsor may be disqualified at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. All entries that are late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, destroyed, forged or otherwise not in compliance with the Official Rules may be disqualified from the Contest at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means and entries by any means which subvert the entry process are void. All entries become the physical property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Assurance of delivery of entries is the sole responsibility of the entrant.
In the event of a dispute as to the identity of any entrant who submits an entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the holder of the email or other account (e.g., Facebook) from which it was sent but only if such person is otherwise eligible. The “account holder” is the person assigned an email address or username by the entity responsible for assigning it (e.g., Yahoo). Winner(s) may be required to show proof of being the registered account holder. If a dispute cannot be resolved to the Sponsor’s satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible. Sponsor and affiliated entities are not responsible for lost, misdirected, misplaced, stolen, tampered with, deleted, or invalid entries.
4. Submission Content Guidelines. Submissions that do not meet the following “Content Guidelines” are subject to disqualification and/or removal from the Application (if applicable), each at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, so read and follow these Content Guidelines:
- Submissions must be in English and no longer than three (3) minutes in length.
- Submission files may not be larger than 1,024MB.
- Submissions may only be in one of the following file formats: .mp4, .m4v (MPEG-4), .mov (QuickTime), .wmv (Windows Media Video) or.avi.
- During the Entry Period, Submissions cannot be displayed or distributed except by us and you must maintain all rights, without third party obligations, to transfer your Submission to us if you are selected as a Finalist (defined below).
- Except for materials that are in the public domain, each Submission, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material created by the entrant, or for which entrant has all rights required to comply with these Official Rules, and suitable for presentation in a public forum.
- Submissions must not have been submitted previously in any contest of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly (i.e., disclosed beyond your immediate circle of friends and family) through any means previously.
- Except for materials in the public domain, Submissions must include only materials created by the entrant, or for which entrant has all rights required to comply with these Official Rules, and must not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any other person or entity. Sponsor does not permit the infringement of others’ rights and any use of materials that infringe third party rights is grounds for disqualification from the Contest and may subject you to liability. Do not copy your favorite movie, book or photo or include materials, images, graphics, music or trademarks belonging to any third parties or incorporate the names, voices, likeness or personas of any party other than yourself unless you have obtained all rights necessary to permit you to use same in connection with your Submission and grant the rights herein granted to Sponsor. Entries that contain brand names, trademarks or company logos are subject to disqualification.
- Submissions must not include material that: (a) is sexually explicit, indecent, obscene, violent, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, (b) is derogatory or promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age, (c) invades the privacy or publicity rights of any person, living or deceased, (d) is unlawful, (e) is harmful to other users of the Contest Website or Application such as viruses, trojan horses or other technologies that could adversely impact the Contest, and/or (f) is disparaging to Sponsor or is inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate (at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion).
- Submissions should not reveal any personal information about another individual, including another person’s address, phone number, email address, credit card number or any information that may be used to track, contact or impersonate that individual.
- Submissions may only include music that was originally created and performed solely by entrant (i.e., songs must be composed, lyrics written and performed by entrant) or music that you have obtained all rights necessary to permit you to use the music in connection with your Submission and grant the rights herein granted to Sponsor as contemplated in Section 5 below. Submissions that include any other songs or recordings that are not original or where all rights have not been obtained are inappropriate and will be subject to disqualification.
- Entrant must have written permission from any individuals that appear in their Submission (e.g., family members, friends or others).
- No background artwork should appear in the Submissions unless it is an original work of the entrant or you have obtained all rights necessary to permit you to use the artwork in connection with your Submission and grant the rights herein granted to Sponsor as contemplated in Section 5 below.
- Entrants must not submit a Submission that if selected cannot be assigned to Sponsor as contemplated below.
5. Intellectual Property. Entrants, upon submission of their Submission to the Contest, hereby irrevocably grant to Sponsor, and each of its licensees, successors and assigns, the non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, no-cost license and right to use and otherwise exploit the Submissions, and all images, text and materials included or depicted therein, in whole or in part, in any manner or medium now or hereafter known or devised (including, without limitation, CDs, streaming media, film, television, videocassettes, print, interactive devices, mobile media, Internet and on-line systems), throughout the universe and in any and all languages, including, without limitation, the right to display, reproduce, recreate, record, perform, exhibit, distribute, copy, edit, change, modify, add to, subtract from, re-title and adapt the same, to combine it with other material and otherwise use and exploit it without having to give any compensation or attribution to entrants or any third party, except for the awarding of the prizes to the Finalists in this Contest. Entrants agree that during the Entry Period, they shall not make, and shall not permit, any other public use, display or distribution of the Submissions, and they shall maintain all rights without encumbrances so that, if Sponsor desires, entrants can assign all rights in and to Submissions if selected as a Finalist. Sponsor, and each of its successors, assigns and licensees, will have the right to make unlimited derivative works of Submissions, to assign or transfer any or all of Sponsor’s granted rights and to grant unlimited, multiple-level sublicenses. Without limiting the forgoing, Sponsor will have the right to use the Submissions submitted as part of the Contest, and all images, text and materials included or depicted therein (if any), in any merchandising, advertising, marketing, promotion or for any other commercial or non-commercial purpose. Entrants hereby forever waive and relinquish all so-called “moral rights (droit moral)” now or hereafter recognized in connection with Submissions submitted as part of the Contest. Entrants acknowledge that as a condition of participating in the Contest and/or being selected as a Finalist, Sponsor may request that the entrant’s Submission, and any rights therein, be assigned to Sponsor and entrants may be required to confirm such assignment by completing and submitting the Prize Acceptance Documents (defined below) (and any other documents reasonably required by Sponsor) or such entrant will otherwise be disqualified from receiving their prize(s). Entrants must maintain the ability to assign all such rights to Sponsor free of any limitations, restrictions or third party obligations. Entrants agree that Sponsor shall have the sole discretion in determining the extent and manner of use of Submissions and are not obligated to use any Submission. Entrants agree not to issue any publicity concerning Sponsor. Entrants agree that Sponsor, nor its agents, shall be responsible for return or preservation of the Submissions submitted. All Submissions that are posted on the Contest Website, Application or elsewhere are available to be viewed by anyone with access to the Internet.
Each entrant acknowledges that Submissions are not being submitted in confidence or in trust to Sponsor and that no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created. Each entrant acknowledges that Sponsor and other entrants may have created ideas and concepts contained in their Submissions that may have familiarities or similarities to his/her own Submission, and that he/she will not be entitled to any compensation or right to negotiate with the Contest Entities because of these familiarities or similarities. Notwithstanding any custom and practice in the industry to pay an individual for an idea (if any), nothing herein shall create an implied or express contract to compensate entrants for their Submissions and there is no obligation for any Contest Entity to pay or otherwise compensate entrants for any of their ideas or materials in any communications with Sponsor, whatsoever. Submissions are not confidential and the Contest Entities’ only obligations to entrants regarding Submissions are as specifically set forth in these Official Rules. The decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including interpretation and application of these Official Rules. Each entrant, by participating in the Contest, except where legally prohibited, grants permission for Sponsor and its designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval. Sponsor reserves the right to request from an entrant or Finalist at any time proof that entrant maintains all necessary rights in their Submission in order to grant Sponsor the rights required herein in a form acceptable to Sponsor. Failure to provide such proof may lead to, among other things, the entrant being disqualified from the Contest and forfeiting any prize.
6. Representations, Warranties and Indemnity. By entering the Contest, each entrant represents and warrants that he or she has read, understands, agrees to and will follow the Official Rules. Entrants further represent and warrant that their Submission and all materials and matter therein: (a) (except for elements that are within the public domain) are wholly original with such entrant and are not a copy or imitation of any other material or entrant has all necessary rights to grant the Sponsor the rights granted hereunder and exercise such without obligation or liability to any third party; (b) will not infringe or violate any right whatsoever, including, without limitation, any personal rights (e.g., defamation, privacy, false light, moral right, etc.) or any property rights (e.g., copyright, trademark, right to ideas, etc.) of any person or entity and the use thereof will result in no third party liability or obligations; and (c) is not the subject of any threatened or pending litigation, claim or dispute that might give rise to litigation, which adversely affects or in any way prejudices, impairs or diminishes the rights granted hereunder or the value thereof. Each entrant further represents and warrants that he or she has the right to agree to and fully perform consistent with these Official Rules and that he or she has complied and has obtained all permissions, licenses and consents that are necessary for the submission of the Submission and the use of the Submission and to verify compliance with the foregoing requirements. Each entrant agrees to provide to Sponsor, at Sponsor’s request, copies of all such permissions, licenses and consents. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Submission that Sponsor determines does not comply with these Official Rules, to make such changes to any Submission as are necessary to make it compliant, or to require the entrant to do so. Entrant further acknowledges and agrees that he/she has not previously granted, assigned or otherwise encumbered his/her Submission, or any images, text and materials depicted therein, to any other third party. Further, each entrant represents and warrants that Sponsor’s use of any Submission, including any images, text and materials depicted therein, shall not violate an agreement to which such entrant has signed. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold the Released Parties (defined below) harmless from and against any third party claim, to the extent arising out of or relating to any breach of any representation, warranty or covenant made by such entrant in connection with his or her acceptance of these Official Rules or Contest activities.
7. Determining the Finalists. During the Judging Period (see chart above for specific dates), each Submission will be reviewed by a team of judges (the “Judges”) assembled by Sponsor, who will review and judge all eligible Submissions based on the following judging criteria (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”):
30%: Impact (e.g., Does the idea presented in the Submission have the potential to actually make Americans healthier?);
30%: Achievability (e.g., Is the idea expressed in the video realistically achievable?);
30%: Originality/Creativity (e.g., How original and creative is the idea presented in the Submission?); and
10%: Quality of Video Presentation (e.g., How well is the video made?)
Based on the total score the Judges assign to each Submission using the Judging Criteria and any other factors determined in BCBSA’s sole discretion, up to three (3) winning Submissions will be ultimately selected by the Judges and each individual who submitted a selected Submission will be a potential “Finalist”, subject to confirmation that the potential Finalists have met the eligibility requirements and complied with these Official Rules. If there is a tie after the Judges apply the Judging Criteria, Sponsor will bring in a tie breaking Judge to apply the same Judging Criteria to break the tie and determine the Finalists. After the conclusion of the Judging Period, Finalists Submissions may be posted on the Application to be viewed by other users of the Application; provided, however, any public viewing or comments on Contest Submissions will have no impact on the Judges ultimate selection of the Winner(s).
8. Finalist Notification. The potential Finalists will be notified by mail, email and/or other method (as selected by Sponsor) on or about August 7-11, 2013, unless extended by Sponsor. The Sponsor is not responsible for false, incorrect, changed, incomplete or illegible contact information. Notification is deemed to have occurred immediately upon sending of an email or other electronic message, one (1) day after sending via a delivery service or two (2) days after mailing. The potential Finalists will be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release, clearance documents for your Submission (including a publicity release) and services and performances agreements (collectively, “Prize Acceptance Documents”) within three (3) days of date of issuance. If such documents are not returned within the specified time period, a prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, Sponsor is unable to contact a potential Finalist or a potential Finalist is unable to travel to Chicago, Illinois on or about August 30, 2013 or the potential Finalists is otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules, their prize(s) will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate winner selected. Parents or legal guardians of a Finalist under the age of majority in their state of residence (which is eighteen (18) in most states but is nineteen (19) in Alabama and Nebraska and twenty-one (21) in Mississippi) may be required to also sign the Prize Acceptance Documents in order for the Finalists to be qualified to receive their prize(s).
Non-compliance shall result in disqualification and award of the prize(s) to an alternate winner. If any potential Finalist is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules, or declines a prize for any reason prior to award, such potential Finalist may be disqualified and an alternate potential Finalist may be selected. The Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, damaged, intercepted, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify the potential Finalists.
9. The Presentations and Determining the Winner(s). All the Finalists will be required to visit Sponsor’s offices in Chicago, Illinois on or about August 30, 2013 (unless the date is extended in Sponsor’s discretion) to present on their idea in-person at the Presentations. Finalists that are unable to participate in or attend the Presentations, for any or no reason, may be disqualified by Sponsor from continuing to the Winner selection phase of the Contest, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Each Finalist will be required to attend the Presentations and make a professional presentation that includes both oral and visual materials about the idea presented in their Submission to a panel of Sponsor-selected Judges. Finalists will have up to an hour to present during the Presentations but are not required to use the full hour. The Presentations will be filmed by Sponsor and may be taped or distributed live by Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion and used for commercial purposes.
All Finalists who participate in the Presentations irrevocably grant to Sponsor all services rendered by them, and all ideas and materials provided by them, in connection with the development, production and/or exploitation of print, graphic, audio and/or visual or other content, projects, productions, campaigns and/or programs. Finalists’ services during the Presentations are a “work-for-hire” as that term is used in copyright law and Sponsor will own all results and proceeds of the services, including, without limitation, all intellectual property and other rights and all physical materials. Finalists hereby irrevocably give and grant to Sponsor all rights of every kind and character whatsoever in all media and languages now known or hereafter devised (including, but not limited to, film, television, videocassettes, DVDs and other storage mediums, mobile media, interactive devices and Internet and on-line systems) throughout the world, in perpetuity, in and to all work done, and all poses, acts, plays and appearances made by Finalists, Finalists’ voice and instrumental, musical or other sound effects produced by Finalist, and in and to all of the results and proceeds of Finalists’ services as well as in and to the right to use Finalists’ name, likeness and photographs, either still or moving, for all commercial and non-commercial purposes (including, but not limited to, merchandising, advertising and promotion purposes) in connection therewith. If the foregoing provisions do not operate to fully and effectively vest in Sponsor the ownership rights to Finalists’ services in connection with the Presentations, Finalists hereby assign to Sponsor all rights of every kind and nature therein whether now or hereafter known or created which may not have so vested (and so far as may be appropriate by way of immediate assignment of future rights) throughout the universe and in perpetuity. Such assignment is irrevocable, royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide upon the creation and fixation into tangible form of the results and proceeds of Finalists’ services. Without limiting the foregoing, Finalists further irrevocably give and grant to the Sponsor the right to adapt, change, edit, modify, add to, delete, combine with other materials, record, reproduce, distribute and otherwise exploit the same by any means now known or hereafter devised and irrevocably waive all so called “moral rights (droit moral) (where enforceable)”.
The presentations made by each of the Finalists may not include any matter or material that violates these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Content Guidelines. Sponsor reserves the right (in its sole discretion) to immediately disqualify and remove from the Presentations any Finalist that does comply with the Content Guidelines. Additionally, Finalists may be interrupted during their presentation by the Judges and asked various questions about their idea. Finalists will be required to professionally answer each of the questions presented by the Judges to the best of their ability and will be judged on their ability to answer the questions in a responsive and engaging manner.
Sponsor will provide additional details to Finalist at the time of Finalist notification about specifically what will be expected of each Finalist at the Presentations and any additional rules and procedures that will be applicable to the competition that will take place at the Presentations. Sponsor reserves the right to set the same or different judging criteria for judging of the Presentations. All decisions by Judges at the Presentations, including interpretation of these Official Rules and related documents, are within the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsor and are final.
Based on the total score the Judges assign to each presentation made by each Finalist, up to three (3) Finalists will be selected as potential “Winner(s).” Those Finalists who have been selected as a potential Winner will either be notified at the Presentations or on or before September 5, 2013, at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. In the event of a tie, the tied Finalists will split the prize designated for the Winner(s) and Sponsor reserves the right to split the prize among all three (3) Finalists in its sole discretion or award the entire prize to one Finalist. All decisions by Judges, including interpretation of these Official Rules and related documents, are within the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsor and are final. Each potential Winner may be required to execute and return to Sponsor an additional Prize Acceptance Document within three (3) days of date of issuance. If the additional Prize Acceptance Document is not returned within the specified time period or a potential Winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules, their Winner prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate winner selected. Non-compliance shall result in disqualification and award of the prize to an alternate winner. If any potential Winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules, or declines the prize for any reason prior to award, such potential Winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential winner may be selected.
10. Prizes and Values.
(A) Finalist Prizes: Sponsor will be awarding up to three (3) Finalist prizes in this Contest. Each Finalist selected will receive a “Trip Prize”, consisting of: (i) one (1) roundtrip economy/coach airline ticket for the Finalist via Sponsor-selected air carrier(s) from a major commercial airport near Finalist’s residence, selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion to Chicago, Illinois; and (ii) a one (1)-night hotel stay (one (1) standard room) for the Finalist at a hotel selected by Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, in Chicago, Illinois. Finalist may invite one (1) guest to accompany them on the trip; provided, however, Finalists will be solely responsible for all costs and expenses related thereto. The total approximate retail value (“ARV”) for each Trip Prize is up to: One Thousand Five Hundred Dollars (1,500.00) (USD). Actual retail value of Trip Prize may vary depending on point of departure, travel dates and fare/rate fluctuations. All travel arrangements must be made through the Sponsor or Sponsor’s designee. Certain restrictions and blackout dates may apply. The Finalists must travel as and when designated by Sponsor or the Trip Prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected based on the process set forth above. There is a limit of one (1) Finalist prize, per person for this Contest.
The Finalists must possess all required travel documents. It is the responsibility of each Finalist to provide proper documentation (including a government issued picture identification). All aspects of the travel portions of the Trip Prize must be conducted on such dates as determined by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. The dates of departure and return are subject to change at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and may not be valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. Sponsor reserves the right to structure travel route and select hotels in its sole and absolute discretion. Each Finalist will not receive cash or any other form of compensation if actual travel costs are less than the estimate made in these Official Rules. The round trip air transportation element for the Trip Prize begins and ends at the point of departure. The Trip Prize is subject to seat and hotel availability, as well as Sponsor’s and prize providers’ terms and conditions generally applicable thereto. If in the judgment of Sponsor air travel is not required due to Finalist’s proximity to Trip Prize location, ground transportation may be substituted for roundtrip air travel at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. The difference in value will not be awarded to any Finalist.
Sponsor shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels, venue operators, transportation companies, prize providers or any other persons providing any Trip Prize-related services or accommodations. Sponsor is not liable for any missed prize events, opportunities or expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellation/delay or ground transportation delay. No refund or compensation will be made in the event of the cancellation or delay of any transportation or other prize element except at the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsor. Additional prize award details and travel information to be provided to each Finalist at the time of Trip Prize notification. Finalists are also responsible for obtaining travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at his/her option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance. The Finalists may be required to provide a credit card at the time of hotel check-in. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Contest, and those set forth by Sponsor’s transportation carrier(s) of choice. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. All expenses not specifically mentioned herein, are not included as part of any Trip Prize package, and are solely the Finalist’s responsibility, including, but not limited to: hotel taxes, additional ground transportation at Finalists’ destination(s), travel insurance, room service, bag check fees, parking fees, laundry service, food, alcoholic beverages, merchandise, souvenirs, telephone calls, tips, gratuities and service charges. Transportation carrier and hotel regulations and conditions apply. Travel and lodging are subject to availability, and any changes made to either of these will be at the expense of a Finalist.
(B) Prizes awarded to the Winner(s): If a Finalist is selected by Sponsor as a potential Winner after the Presentations, Sponsor will be awarding each Winner with a check for a portion (up to all) of a Twenty-Five Thousand Dollar ($25,000) (USD) prize pool (the “Prize Pool”). Sponsor reserves the right to award and divide up the Prize Pool in its sole discretion and can award all or none (or some other specific amount) of the Prize Pool to any Finalist, in its sole and absolute discretion.
(C) Terms Applicable to All Prizes: Prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemptions, equivalents or substitutions, except at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. All prize details not specified in these Official Rules will be determined in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Prize details and availability are subject to change and prize provider’s rules and restrictions, and in the event that Sponsor is unable to provide a Winner with their prize, the Sponsor may elect to provide winners with the approximate value of such item in cash or award an alternate prize of comparable or greater value. In the event a Winner engages in behavior that (as determined by Sponsor or any prize provider in its or their sole and absolute discretion) is obnoxious, inappropriate, or threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the right to receive a prize, including ending a trip (if applicable) or other applicable experience early. All prizes are awarded “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
Prize Winner(s) will be solely responsible for the payment of all federal, state and/or local taxes to the relevant government agency(ies), and for any other fees or costs associated with the prizes they receive, regardless of whether they, in whole or in part, are used. The ARV of the prizes is based on available information provided to Sponsor and the value of any prize awarded to a Finalist/Winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. The Winner(s) may be required to provide Sponsor with a valid social security number or tax identification number before the prizes will be awarded for tax reporting purposes. An IRS Form 1099 may be issued in the name of Finalists/Winner(s), or if a minor in the jurisdiction in which s/he resides, in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian, for the actual value of the prize(s) received. Unclaimed prizes will be forfeited. The total ARV of all of the prizes awarded in this Contest is: Twenty-Nine Thousand Five Hundred Dollars ($29,500) (USD).
11. General Conditions. Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, inaccurate, stolen, misdirected, undelivered, delayed, garbled or damaged entries; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Contest Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants’ or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Contest Website. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest or Contest Website or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, may be disqualified and all associated entries voided, all in Sponsor’s sole judgment. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of entries, or should the Contest be unable to run as planned for any other reason, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential Finalists from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. The Released Parties are not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in entrant’s email or other account to receive messages. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE THE CONTEST WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR MAY DISQUALIFY ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) AND OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
12. Release. By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless the Contest Entities and Facebook, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”), from and against and any and all claims, liability, costs, losses, damages or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to entrants’ participation in the Contest and/or related to any prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to entrant’s or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, related to participation in the Contest; or arising out of any violation of rights of publicity or privacy, or claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light; or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property or other rights; or from any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Contest activity and/or prize). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing entrants agree that Released Parties: (a) have neither made nor will be in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, in connection with the Contest and/or with respect to prize(s), including, without limitation, to any prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose; (b) maintain no control over the personnel, equipment or operation of any air, water or surface carrier, ship line, bus or limousine company, transportation company, hotel, manufacturer or other person or entity furnishing services, products or accommodations (“Suppliers”) as a part of the prize(s) provided in connection with the Contest; and (c) will not be responsible or liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or other irregularity that may be caused or contributed to: (i) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of the Suppliers or any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors, (ii) by any defect in or failure of any vehicle, equipment, instrumentality, service or product that is owned, operated, furnished or otherwise used by any of those Suppliers, (iii) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of the Released Parties, and (iv) by any cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of the Released Parties. Each entrant further agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Released Parties from and against any and all liability resulting or arising from the Contest and to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Released Parties. Sponsor is not responsible for the actions of entrants in connection with the Contest, including entrants’ attempts to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest. Entrants further understand and agree that all rights under Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California (“Section 1542”) and any similar law of any state or territory of theUnited Statesthat may be applicable with respect to the foregoing release are hereby expressly and forever waived. Entrants acknowledge that Section 1542 provides that: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.” The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims. If entrant is an eligible minor, his/her parent or legal guardian must agree to these Official Rules, including, without limitation, this Section.
13. Publicity Release. Subject to applicable law, Finalists and Winner(s) irrevocably grant the Released Parties and each of their licensees, and its and their successors, assigns and sub-licensees the right and permission to use their name, voice, likeness and/or biographical material for advertising, promotional and/or publicity purposes in connection with the Contest, in all forms of media and by any and all means and media (now and hereafter known), and on and in connection with related products, services, advertising and promotional materials (now known or hereafter developed), worldwide, in perpetuity, without any obligation, notice or consideration except for the awarding of the prize(s) to the Finalists/Winner(s).
14. Suspension / Modification / Termination. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest by any event beyond its control, including, but not limited to, fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, communications or equipment failure, utility or service interruptions, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared), interference with the Contest by any party, or any federal, state or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence) Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest. Sponsor additionally reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion: (a) to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest should causes beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt or interfere with the administration, integrity, operation, security or proper play of the Contest; or (b) to disqualify any entrant found to be, or suspected of: (i) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (ii) acting in violation of these Official Rules; or (iii) acting in an un-sportsmanlike manner. The Contest Entities are not responsible for any changes or unavailability of the Facebook platform that may interfere with the Contest (including any limitations, any restrictions, or any conditions on Sponsor’s ability to use Facebook for the Contest as set forth herein that are not acceptable to Sponsor) or ability of entrant to timely enter, receive notices or communicate with Sponsor via Facebook, in which case Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may terminate or modify the Contest.
15. Governing Law / Limitation of Liability. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of entrants, Sponsor, or the Released Parties in connection with the Contest will be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Illinois, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state’s laws.
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (A) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (B) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (C) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (D) ENTRANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
16. Disputes / Arbitration. The parties each agree to finally settle all disputes only through arbitration; provided, however, the Sponsor shall be entitled to seek injunctive or equitable relief in the state and federal courts in Cook County, Illinois and any other court with jurisdiction over the parties. In arbitration, there is no judge or jury and review is limited. The arbitrator’s decision and award is final and binding, with limited exceptions, and judgment on the award may be entered in any court with jurisdiction. The parties agree that, except as set forth above, any claim, suit, action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Contest shall be resolved solely by binding arbitration before a sole arbitrator under the streamlined Arbitration Rules Procedures of JAMS Inc. (“JAMS”) or any successor to JAMS. In the event JAMS is unwilling or unable to set a hearing date within fourteen (14) days of the filing of a "Demand for Arbitration", then either party can elect to have the arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) or any other mutually agreeable arbitration administration service. If an in-person hearing is required, then it will take place in Chicago, IL, New York City, NY, Los Angeles, CA, Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX (whichever is closest to entrant’s residence); provided, however, if none of these locations are convenient for the hearing, the parties may mutually agree on an alternative location. The federal or state law that applies to these Official Rules will also apply during the arbitration. Disputes will be arbitrated only on an individual basis and will not be consolidated with any other proceedings that involve any claims or controversy of another party, including any class actions; provided, however, if for any reason any court or arbitrator holds that this restriction is unconscionable or unenforceable, then the agreement to arbitrate doesn’t apply and the dispute must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in Cook County, Illinois. Sponsor agrees to pay the administrative and arbitrator's fees in order to conduct the arbitration (but specifically excluding any travel or other costs of entrant to attend the arbitration hearing). Either party may, notwithstanding this provision, bring qualifying claims in small claims court. In no event shall any entrant seek or be entitled to rescission, injunctive or other equitable relief or to enjoin or restrain the operation of this Contest (or any website connected therewith), exploitation of any advertising or other materials issued in connection therewith, or exploitation of this Contest (or any website or any content or other materials used or displayed on the website used in connection with the Contest).
17. No Obligation to Use. Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any or to otherwise exploit any Submission or, if commenced, to continue the distribution or exploitation thereof, and Sponsor may at any time abandon the use of the Submission for any reason, with or without legal justification or excuse, and entrants shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
18. Dates & Deadlines/Anticipated Number of Contestants. Because of the unique nature and scope of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Official Rules or otherwise governing the Contest. Sponsor cannot accurately predict the number of entrants who will participate in the Contest.
19. Further Documentation. If Sponsor shall desire to secure additional assignments, certificates of engagement for the Submission or other documents as Sponsor may reasonably require in order to effectuate the purposes and intents of these Official Rules, then each entrant agrees to sign the same upon Sponsor’s request therefor.
20. List of Contest Finalists and Winner(s) / Official Rules Requests. To receive a list of Contest Finalist/Winner(s), send a stamped self-addressed envelope, prior to December 31, 2013, to: “Contest Winners List”, BCBSA, 225 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60601 (Attn: Legal Department). Please indicate which Contest Winners list you are requesting by referencing the name of the Contest in your request. For a copy of these Official Rules, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope to: “Contest Official Rules”, BCBSA, 225 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60601 (Attn: Legal Department) prior to the end of the Entry Period. Please indicate which Contest Official Rules you are requesting by referencing the name of the Contest in your request. Vermont residents may omit return postage with Official Rules requests.
21. Identification of Sponsor. This Contest is sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, 225 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60601 (Attn: Consumer Marketing). Reference to third parties in connection with prizes and/or third party websites or services are for reference and identification purposes only and not intended to suggest endorsement, sponsorship or affiliation with Sponsor or the Contest.
//END OFFICIAL RULES//