From generation to generation, Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies have worked hand in hand with organized labor to empower working Americans with secure and stable health coverage. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield National Labor Office is labor’s liaison to our 36 companies, ensuring that Blue Cross and Blue Shield products and services meet working families’ healthcare needs. Our companies serve more than 17 million unionized workers, retirees and their families–more than any other insurer. As we mark our 50th year of dedicated service to organized labor, we are committed to remaining the top choice for America’s working families for years to come.
Pathway to Better Health
Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies across the country are partnering with patients, physicians, hospitals and the government to create a patient-centered care healthcare system that helps patients get healthy faster and stay healthy longer. Learn more.
Why Does Healthcare Cost So Much?
Healthcare spending in the United States is $2.9 trillion a year, straining the budgets of families, business and taxpayers alike. Chronic medical conditions, an aging population and the increased cost of new medicines, procedures and technologies contribute to rising healthcare costs.
Stay up to date with BlueCross BlueShield Association news.
Visit the Blog
Calendar of Events
Unions and Blue companies continually seek innovative relationships to improve member health and lower cost. Through its strategic alliances*, the NLO facilitates best‑in‑class offerings to organized labor.
- Ameritox is the nation’s leader in pain medication monitoring, offering laboratory services and practice management tools to help clinicians coordinate and optimize the care of chronic pain patients. www.ameritox.com
- Best Doctors - Founded in 1989 by Harvard Medical School physicians, Best Doctors works with the best five percent of doctors, ranked by impartial peer review, to help people get the right diagnosis and right treatment. For further information, visit www.bestdoctors.com.
- Cobalt MedPlans is an outsourcing partner for health insurance claims processing. For additional information, visit www.cobaltmedplans.com.
- Davis Vision, Inc. is a well-established national entity that has been providing comprehensive vision care services for over 44 years. Learn more at www.davisvision.com.
- Epic Hearing - Bringing affordable and cost-effective hearing care to those who need it. For more information, go to www.epichearing.com.
- HM Insurance Group began as a TPA in 1980, assisting customers with alternative funding options for their benefits. Not long after, Stop Loss sales began, assisting companies in managing the excess risk associated with their health coverage. Visit www.hmig.com for additional information.
- HSA Bank, a division of Webster Bank, N.A. (NYSE: WBS) Member FDIC, was one of the first financial institutions in the United States to offer Health Savings Accounts (HSA). www.hsabank.com
- The Pervenio™ Lung RS test is a molecular assay for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). For more information, visit www.lifetechnologies.com.
- Magellan Health is the nation’s leading diversified specialty healthcare management organization, managing behavioral health, radiology and specialty pharmacy services. Visit www.magellanhealth.com for more information.
- NASCO - For over 25 years, NASCO has partnered with Plans to provide the most efficient single-system claims processing solution for national, state, labor, large group, small group, individual and government programs. www.nasco.com
- Part D Advisors are one of the only solutions providers with the knowledge and industry relations necessary to expertly navigate every aspect of the Retiree Drug Subsidy (RDS) maze from beginning to end. www.partdadvisors.com
- Teladoc: Provides 24/7/365 access to care anytime, anywhere; offers care at a fraction of the cost of urgent care and ER visits, saving everyone money; and uses the strictest quality processes and clinical protocols for our national network of U.S. board-certified physicians. www.teladoc.com
- United Concordia’s mission is to be a national dental-care company providing dental benefit solutions that create the best value for our customers, providers, employees and the communities we serve. www.unitedconcordia.com/dental-insurance
*NLO strategic alliances do not sell Blue Cross and Blue Shield Branded products. Strategic alliances are not BCBSA partners or joint ventures. In addition, there is not an employer and employee or principal and agent relationship between BCBSA and any Strategic alliance, or their respective personnel.
Archives of the NLO newsletters. Send questions regarding the NLO newsletter to Marian Casarella.
- National Labor Office turns 50 years old
- United Auto Workers (UAW) Ford employees lose nearly 2,000 pounds in nine weeks with Blue Cross® Blue Shield® of Michigan weight-loss challenge
- Chicago Mayor Emanuel and Blue Cross and Blue Shield Of Illinois Announce Partnership To Support Divvy Bike Share System
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont and NASCO Begin Multi-Year Operating Platform Transition
- The NLO celebrates 50 years
- The NLO welcomes Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Arizona as a new member
- The NLO welcomes Tom Mandrola as a new board member
- The 2015 BCBS Advanced Labor Studies Program at Rutgers University was a big success.
- Arizona Fights Food Insecurity
- HM Insurance - Better Manages Catastrophic Costs with Strong Communication, Education
- 2014 D.C. Labor Representatives of the Year
- Quality and Efficient Health Care Fund - Lowering the Rate of Early Births in Nebraska
- Feeding America Tampa Bay Receives Donation
- The NLO Welcomes New West Coast Executive Director
- The NLO Welcomes New Members to the Board of Directors
- Make Noise About Hearing Care
- Spring Planting Tips
- The National Labor Office Welcomes BCS Financial as a Strategic Alliance