Away From Home Care® Program
As a Blue Plan HMO member, you can enjoy peace of mind by having access to healthcare benefits across the country. Away From Home Care provides convenient healthcare coverage while you are away from your Home HMO and temporarily residing in a participating HMO's service area. Away From Home Care is available in many states and the District of Columbia.
Guest Membership is designed to address your healthcare needs if you have one of the following situations:
- Students— attending school out of state
- Families Apart—family members residing in different HMO service areas
- Long-Term Traveler—long-term work assignment in another state, or retirees with a dual residence
The Away From Home Care Program ensures that you have ongoing access to the care you need while residing away from home. Here is how the program works:
- Contact your home HMO if you or a covered dependent are going to be away from home for at least 90 consecutive days.
- Your home HMO will advise you if a participating HMO is in the area where you will be staying.
- Your home HMO will work with you to complete a Guest Membership application, if there is a participating HMO in the area where you will be staying. Your home HMO will mail you the application for signature. Once it is signed, your home HMO will forward it to the participating host HMO in your destination location.
- Your host HMO will provide you with a membership ID card, a primary care physician, and instructions on how to access your benefits while using your Guest Membership.
- Call your host HMO primary care physician for an appointment when you need medical care.