Blue Cross Of Northeastern Pennsylvania Supports Healthy Kids Day Regional YMCAs Are Hosting Events April 27
March 26, 2013
WILKES-BARRE – On Saturday, April 27, YMCAs across the country will host "Healthy Kids Day" events to encourage families to stay active through the summer months as school activities end.
Recognizing the importance of promoting exercise and helping families make healthy lifestyle choices, Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania (BCNEPA) is participating with seven regional YMCAs to present Healthy Kids Day events across northeastern and north central Pennsylvania.
"These events will offer the chance to try new activities as a family, including some that children may not be exposed to during the school year," said Dr. Nina Taggart, Vice President of Clinical Operations and Chief Medical Officer for BCNEPA. "Healthy Kids Day is a great way for families to spend the day together and learn healthy habits they can practice together throughout the summertime."
BCNEPA encourages local families to participate in the following Healthy Kids Day celebrations on April 27:
- The Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA (Wilkes-Barre, Pa.), from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with a bounce house, gym activities, Zumbatomic, water safety, open family swim, healthy snack making and a free healthy lunch for children.
- The Greater Scranton YMCA (Dunmore, Pa.), from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with a Health Fair, kids' fun run, petting zoo, bounce house, face painting and a meet and greet with retired Philadelphia Phillies player Darren Daulton.
- The Greater Pittston YMCA (Pittston, Pa.), from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with a 2k family run, swimming, bounce houses, a pitching clinic, arts and crafts, nutrition/cooking demonstrations, summer safety lessons and demonstrations and sports stations.
- The Pocono Family YMCA (Stroudsburg, Pa.), from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., with an open swim, group games and activities in the gym, arts and crafts, free finger printing for children from the local police, healthy snacks and more.
- The Eastern Lycoming YMCA (Muncy, Pa.), from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m., with a "Drums Alive" demonstration, swimming relay races and many interactive activities for children.
For more information on Health Kids Day activities, or to find a local Healthy Kids Day event, visit http://www.ymca.net/healthy-kids-day/.
About Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania
Headquartered in Wilkes-Barre, Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. BCNEPA offers a comprehensive portfolio of health insurance products and administrative services to nearly 540,000 individuals in 13 counties in northeastern and north central Pennsylvania. The company's mission is to provide integrated health care services and products to improve the quality, accessibility and affordability of health care in the populations it serves.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 37 independent, community-based and locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for nearly 105 million members – one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit bcbs.com. We encourage you to connect with us on Facebook, check out our videos on YouTube, follow us on Twitter and check out The BCBS Blog, for up-to-date information about BCBSA.