Blue Cross And Blue Shield Of Alabama Pilots School Grant Program Addressing Childhood Obesity
October 1, 2012
BIRMINGHAM – In our commitment to help prevent childhood obesity, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama has launched a pilot school grant program and is awarding $67,000 in grants to eight elementary schools statewide for the 2012-2013 school year. The grants are for the implementation of school-based health and wellness programs, emphasizing increased exercise, nutrition education and parental involvement during the school year. Each school is receiving a grant up to $10,000.
In May 2013, students successfully completing their school’s program will be presented Be Healthy medals by Blue Cross, and schools will be further recognized with a Blue Cross Be Healthy School banner. Blue Cross plans to expand the school grant program for the 2013-2014 school year based on pilot results from this school year.
Below are the schools receiving grants for the 2012-2013 school year:
- Amelia Love Johnson School, Thomaston, Alabama, Marengo County
- Cleburne County Elementary School, Heflin, Alabama, Cleburne County
- College Street Elementary School, Enterprise, Alabama, Coffee County
- Five Points Elementary School, Five Points, Alabama, Chambers County
- Greenville Middle School, Greenville, Alabama, Butler County
- Harlan Elementary School, Florence, Alabama, Lauderdale County
- Monte Sano Elementary School, Huntsville, Alabama, Madison County
- W.J. Christian K-8 School, Birmingham, Alabama, Jefferson County
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama has insured Alabamians for over 75 years. Blue Cross offers coverage plans to corporations, individuals and the senior market. For more information about Blue Cross, visit www.bcbsal.com. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 37 independent, community-based and locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for nearly 100 million members – one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit bcbs.com. We encourage you to connect with us on Facebook, check out our videos on YouTube, follow us on Twitter and check out The BCBS Blog, for up-to-date information about BCBSA.