Blue Cross & Blue Shield Of Rhode Island To Hold Free Sun Safety Screenings In June
May 22, 2012
PROVIDENCE – Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) will sponsor five free sun safety screenings during the month of June. All members of the public are encouraged to attend. The screenings will take place on the following dates:
- Saturday, June 2, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Rhode Island Mission of Mercy dental clinic, Community College of Rhode Island, Flanagan Campus, 1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln
- Sunday, June 3, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Rhode Island Mission of Mercy dental clinic, Community College of Rhode Island, Flanagan Campus, 1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln
- Sunday, June 3, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. at the Twin River Casino 5K Road Race, 100 Twin River Road, Lincoln
- Monday, June 25, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Salvatore Mancini Senior Center, 2 Atlantic Boulevard, North Providence
- Wednesday, June 27, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Smithfield Senior Center, 1 William J. Hawkins Jr. Trail, Smithfield
The sun safety screening uses DermaView technology to analyze an individual’s face for sun damage. This allows participants to view the effects of cumulative sun exposure since early childhood. Unprotected and/or excessive exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays causes premature skin aging—and increases a person’s risk for non-melanoma and melanoma skin cancer.
Attendees will also receive tips on the proper use of sunscreen and learn other steps they can take to avoid sunburns and long-term skin damage. Please note: Bare skin is best for the screening. If you use facial moisturizer or other cosmetics that contain sunscreen, even if they have a low SPF, please remove them before the evaluation begins.
Registration is not required for these BCBSRI sun safety screenings.
About Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island is the state’s leading health insurer and covers more than 600,000 members. The company is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more information, visit BCBSRI.com and follow us on Twitter @BCBSRI.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 37 independent, community-based and locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for nearly 100 million members – one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit bcbs.com. We encourage you to connect with us on Facebook, check out our videos on YouTube, follow us on Twitter and check out The BCBS Blog, for up-to-date information about BCBSA.