Health Care Service Corporation Launches Duty Calls, Unique Mobile App Geared Toward Expectant Dads
App Helps Expectant Dads Better Support Their Partner During Pre-Natal Process
August 1, 2012
CHICAGO – To help support expectant dads during the pre-natal process, Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), operator of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, has launched Duty Calls, a mobile app that helps new dads stay engaged with their partner throughout pregnancy by providing detailed task lists and weekly development information, among other features, on baby and expectant mother.
Duty Calls is an extension to the company's 'Special Beginnings®' maternity program that provides expectant members support and education, risk factor identification and ongoing communication/ monitoring from experienced program staff.
Research suggests that paternal support helps promote healthy prenatal behavior and may decrease the expectant mother's emotional stress, which has been linked to poor pregnancy outcomes. However, through HCSC's research, expectant fathers often admit that they are unsure of their role during the prenatal process. This app helps support the couple's pre-natal experience by providing state-of-the-art tools to help dads be more active during the pregnancy process.
"Through focus groups and research, we have found that dads were often confused during the prenatal process because they felt they lacked resources to understand how to participate," said Paul Nutting, senior director, electronic commerce, HCSC. "The Duty Calls app addresses this concern in a unique way. We're confident that Duty Calls will benefit expectant dads with the goal of enhancing the couple's pre-natal experience in a variety of ways."
Duty Calls, available exclusively on iTunes, is unique as it offers a robust set of features to assist expectant dads, including:
- Countdown Timer to the big day
- Task List pre-populated with activities dads will likely need to complete before the baby comes
- Development Capture Tool, with the ability to take photos, videos and audio clips during important pregnancy milestones and share them through social network
- Knowledge Library with information on: what to do and not to do during pregnancy, and what is happening with your partner and new baby during each week of pregnancy
- Contraction Timer to track your partner's contractions
- Note Pad to jot down important information during doctors' visits
- Binder to organize the gathered information using Duty Calls
- Quick access to the Support Team via phone, email or social media, to keep them up to date with developments during pregnancy.
About Health Care Service Corporation
Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, is the country's largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall, with more than 13 million members in its Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans in Illinois, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more information, please visit www.HCSC.com, visit our Facebook page or follow us at www.twitter.com/HCSC.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 38 independent, community-based and locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for 100 million members – one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit bcbs.com. We encourage you to connect with us on Facebook, check out our videos on YouTube, follow us on Twitter and check out The BCBS Blog, for up-to-date information about BCBSA.