Horizon BCBSNJ And Hunterdon Healthcare Launch Patient-Centered Accountable Care Organization To Improve Care For Over 18,000 Patients
July 16, 2013
Newark, NJ – Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey and Hunterdon Healthcare Partners today announced the launch of a Patient-Centered Accountable Care Organization that will benefit more than 18,000 Horizon BCBSNJ members in Hunterdon, Somerset and Mercer counties. Nineteen Hunterdon Healthcare Partners doctors’ offices will be part of the Patient-Centered ACO.
Since July 2012, Hunterdon Healthcare Partners -- and its 19 participating locations – have participated in one of Horizon BCBSNJ’s patient-centered programs, specifically the Patient-Centered Medical Home Program (Program). This new expansion of the Program to a Patient-Centered ACO will focus on increasing accountability for participating practices in delivering more comprehensive, integrated care to Horizon BCBSNJ members. In addition to better coordination of care, all patient treatments will be tied to evidence-based standards for prevention and wellness. Participating practices will take on increased accountability for improving quality outcomes for Horizon BCBSNJ members, while reducing the total cost of their care.
"Over the past year, Horizon BCBSNJ has successfully collaborated with Hunterdon Healthcare to improve quality outcomes and reduce unnecessary emergency room visits,” said Jim Albano, Vice President of Network Management and Horizon Healthcare Innovations at Horizon BCBSNJ. “Expanding this relationship as a Patient-Centered ACO adds more accountability to improve health outcomes, and maintains a team-based, coordinated approach to care.”
“Collaborating with Horizon BCBSNJ will help Hunterdon Healthcare deliver better care at a better price. We think patients will see direct benefit from this approach,” explained Jeffrey Weinstein, Executive Director for Hunterdon Healthcare Partners. Weinstein added, “This not only supports our mission to deliver better access to primary care and specialist physicians, but will allow us to better provide integrated care to improve the health of our community.”
The following family practices affiliated with Hunterdon Healthcare Partners will be participating in this Patient-Centered ACO:
- Annandale Family Practice – 56 Payne Rd, Suite 21, Lebanon
- Branchburg Family Health Center – 2143 South Branch Road, Somerville
- Cornerstone Family Practice – 9100 Wescott Drive, Suite 103, Flemington
- Dein Shapiro, MD – 3461 Route 22 East, Branchburg, NJ 08876
- Delaware Valley Family Health Center – 200 Frenchtown Road, Milford
- Highlands Family Health Center – 61 Frontage Road, Hampton
- Hopewell Family Practice – 84 East Broad Street, Hopewell
- Hopewell Family Practice – 84 Route 31 North, Pennington
- Hunterdon Family Practice and Obstetrics –1100 Wescott Drive, Suite 101, Flemington
- Morningstar Family Health Center, Inc. – 54 Old Highway 22, Clinton
- Phillips Barber Family Health Center – 72 Alexander Avenue, Lambertville
- Raritan Family Health Care – 901 US Highway 202 and Quick Avenue, Upper Level, Raritan
- Raritan Family Health Care – 2345 Lamington Road, Suite 104, Bedminster
- Riverfield Family Health Center – 1738 Route 31 North, Suite 203, Clinton
- Riverfield Family Health Center – 140 Boulevard, Washington
- The Doctor Is In – 59 Old Highway 22, Clinton
- The Doctor Is In – 149M Highway 31, Flemington
- The Doctor Is In – 1205 US Highway 22, Phillipsburg
- Your Doctors Care – 71 Route 206 South, Hillsborough
Under this Program, Horizon BCBSNJ provides participating practices with funding to support Population Care Coordinators (PCCs) on site at all practice locations. PCCs are nurses who coordinate treatment and engage patients to take more control of their own health.
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, the state’s oldest and largest health insurer, is a tax-paying, not-for-profit health services corporation, providing a wide array of medical, dental, and prescription insurance products and services. Horizon BCBSNJ is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, serving more than 3.6 million members with headquarters in Newark and offices in Wall, Mt. Laurel, and West Trenton. Learn more at www.HorizonBlue.com.
Hunterdon HealthCare Partners
Hunterdon HealthCare Partners was created by physicians and the Hunterdon Healthcare System, the parent organization of the Hunterdon Medical Center. The partnership’s goal is to provide the residents of Hunterdon County and the surrounding areas better access to integrated care delivered through their network of primary care and specialist physicians. For more information, contact Jeffrey Weinstein at Weinstein.Jeffrey@hunterdonhealthcare.org.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 37 independent, community-based and locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for nearly 100 million members – one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit bcbs.com. We encourage you to connect with us on Facebook, check out our videos on YouTube, follow us on Twitter and check out The BCBS Blog, for up-to-date information about BCBSA.