Open For Business—What You Need To Know Today
October 1, 2013
COLUMBIA – The BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina and BlueChoice® HealthPlan Marketplaces are open for business. Today is the first day that previously uninsured consumers can purchase health insurance, which will be effective January 1, 2014.
Based on the questions we have received, this is what consumers need to know:
- If you are ready to shop and you know you want a Blue plan you can go to our private Marketplace for BlueCross (www.SouthCarolinaBlues.com) and/or for BlueChoice products (www.applynowsc.com).
- If you have Medicare, Medigap or Medicaid, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you have insurance through your work, talk to your employer. Most people do not need to do anything.
- Make sure that you get all the information you need to make an informed decision for your coverage.
- Know that you have time. Open enrollment for health insurance will continue through March 31, 2014. However, you must purchase coverage by December 15 for it to become effective January 1, 2014.
- If you live in the Upstate area, please visit our SC Blue Retail Store at 1025 Woodruff Road in Greenville. You can call them at 864-286-2285 to make an appointment to speak with a customer service representative or visit them online at www.scblueretailcenters.com .
- There is also an RV that is traveling the state and visiting rural communities to provide health insurance information at a local level.
- If you live in the Charleston area, please visit our SC Blue Retail Store at 615 Johnnie Dodds Blvd. in Mount Pleasant. Its phone number is 843.284.0676 and its website is http://www.scbluestore.com/ .
About BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina
Headquartered in Columbia, S.C., and operating in South Carolina for more than 65 years, BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina (www.SouthCarolinaBlues.com) is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. The only South Carolina-owned and operated health insurance carrier, BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina comprises more than 40 companies involved in health insurance services, U.S. DoD health program and Medicare contracts, other insurance and employee benefits services, and a philanthropic foundation that funds programs to improve health care and access to health care for South Carolinians. BlueChoice HealthPlan of South Carolina (www.BlueChoiceSC.com) also is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a national federation of 37 independent, community-based and locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies that collectively provide healthcare coverage for nearly 105 million members – one-in-three Americans. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and its member companies, please visit bcbs.com. We encourage you to connect with us on Facebook, check out our videos on YouTube, follow us on Twitter and check out The BCBS Blog, for up-to-date information about BCBSA.