Total Care for the Whole Patient
Blue Distinction® Total Care recognizes doctors that focus on health care instead of sick care. These doctors go above and beyond to enhance the overall health of their patients, providing preventive services and wellness coaching, as well as working with patients with chronic conditions to better meet their care needs. Total Care is coordinated, patient-focused and, in many cases, more affordable healthcare.
Coordinated Care for Better Health
As strong patient advocates, Blue Distinction Total Care doctors focus on:
- Helping patients stay healthy through preventive care and wellness programs.
- Supporting patients in making better healthcare decisions.
- Coordinating patients' care across the healthcare spectrum.
- Expanding access to primary care through extended office hours and follow-up calls.
- Reducing or eliminating unnecessary emergency room visits.
Find a Total Care Doctor or Hospital
To find a Blue Distinction Total Care doctor or hospital, call the toll-free number on the back of your membership card. To view a list of the Blue Distinction Total Care doctors and hospitals in your area, visit the National Doctor & Hospital Finder, click the Blue Distinction filter, select Blue Distinction Total Care, and click "Go" in the Location field.
Eligibility and Evaluation
Who can be considered for the Blue Distinction Total Care recognition?
- Primary care doctors, medical practices or hospitals.
How are doctors and hospitals evaluated for Blue Distinction Total Care?
Blue Cross Blue Shield companies nationwide use the following criteria:
- Doctors and hospitals have established quality and cost targets, and are paid by Blue Cross Blue Shield companies, at least in part, based on meeting these targets to deliver higher quality, more affordable care to their patients.
- Doctors and hospitals must use data and analytics to better understand and improve their medical practices.
- The programs offered by these doctors and hospitals must have broad availability for Blue Cross Blue Shield members.
Designation as a Blue Distinction Total Care Provider means the Provider has met the established national criteria. To find out which services are covered under your policy at any facilities, please call your local Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield Plan; and call your provider before making an appointment, to verify the most current information on its Network participation and Blue Distinction Total Care status. Neither Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association nor any of its Licensees are responsible for any damages, losses, or non-covered charges that may result from using Blue Distinction or receiving care from a Blue Distinction or other provider.