Blue Cross of Idaho (BC Idaho) and the Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health (the Foundation) are investing thousands to support the needs of the Idaho community following the impacts of COVID-19.
The Foundation has been working to support community efforts to help with immediate needs and long-term recovery as the coronavirus pandemic unfolds. The Foundation initiated several new investments:
COVID-19 FUNDING: $188,200*
- $100,000 to the COVID-19 Response and Recovery Fund for Idaho, established by Idaho Community Foundation in partnership with various United Ways and Idaho Nonprofit Center. This statewide fund grew to more than $1.4 million and has awarded 72 grants worth about $820,000 with more to come during the recovery phase.
- $25,000 to Idaho Business for Education to help students in need access internet services
- $20,000 to Idaho Food Bank to help with food and supplies
- $15,000 to City of Good, an effort by Boise restaurants to feed those in need and put people back to work
- $10,000 to the Innovia Foundation to support relief efforts in North Idaho
- $5,000 to Coeur d’Alene Tribe to help access to personal protective equipment in the community
- $5,000 to the East Idaho Idaho Community Commitment Fund to support relief efforts in East Idaho
- $5,000 to Rolling Tomato, a nonprofit that provides food recovery (taking excess food from farmers and commercial kitchens and getting it to nonprofits that serve people in need)
- $3,200 to the Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force to support unexpected COVD-19 related costs in its Prescription for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables program that connects diabetics and prediabetics who are food insecure with fresh produce
The Foundation’s priorities are to focus efforts and funding to where the need is greatest for vulnerable people and charitable organizations that help people during the coronavirus pandemic. Priority will be given to organizations meeting the needs of individuals and communities most at risk, including:
- Children and families, seniors, and those with compromised immune systems
- Other vulnerable populations in Idaho (rural, minority, and tribal communities)
FUNDER COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Several Foundation team members are participating in local, statewide and regional funder groups to stay up to date on relief efforts and to help connect resources to communities and organizations.
Blue Cross of Idaho: COVID-19 Community Response
- Purchased and donated $25 gift cards for 150 students at College of Idaho who remained on campus because they had no other living options due to travel restrictions, unstable homes or no home to return to.
- BC Idaho employees and their families created thank you cards for residents of local veterans’ hospitals and homes who are unable to see family.
- Encouraged employees to participate in a Windows of Hope campaign by decorating street-facing windows with hearts and messages of hope to inspire neighbors. Employees were also asked to share photos of their windows on social media and to tag the corporate social media accounts on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
*Numbers are current as of May 2020, investments are ongoing.
Blue Cross of Idaho and the Blue Cross of Idaho Foundation for Health are licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independently, locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.