CHICAGO – June 17, 2020 – Today, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association issued the following statement:
In recent weeks, we have seen, heard and felt the pain in our own companies and in our communities following the senseless killing of Mr. George Floyd—and too many black men and women before him. We are resolved to answer the call that has gone out to every company and individual to fight racism in our country. For Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies, this is more than a public health issue. This is personal. We serve 109 million members in every ZIP code across the U.S. Our 220,000+ employees live and work in the communities that are hurting today. We know we must do more to fight injustice in our own backyards and throughout the country. And we will do more. We will listen and learn as we work to heal our communities. The 36 independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies, along with the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, unite today in a pledge to build a stronger future, together:
- First and foremost, we pledge to act. We will take tangible steps to put a stop to injustices in our communities, and remove barriers preventing equitable health, well-being and safety for all.
- We pledge to listen and learn. We will engage in community events and discussions to listen and understand what we can do to end systemic racism in our communities.
- We pledge to create and maintain a forum for our associates to speak. We want to hear how our associates are feeling, and how we can support them as we live our mission in the midst of these difficult times.
- We pledge to make our voices and our actions known both inside and outside our company. When we raise our voices, we pledge to be loud, clear and constant in voicing our contempt against racism, hate, discrimination and violence. We pledge to boldly denounce racism throughout our communities.
- We pledge to be part of the change we wish to see. We will, within our companies and communities, work together, pursuing equality, justice and good health for all.
- And finally, we pledge to not let things ever go back to the way they were. We will remain in our communities with you as your advocate for enduring change.