BlueCross BlueShield of Puerto Rico continues to help feed those in need, reach isolated seniors, educate the public about the virus and influence public policy to effectively address the COVID-19 crisis.
The Triple-S Foundation contributed financially to foodbanks and nonprofits fighting food insecurity, with various grants amounts up to $40K. They include the following NGOs:
- World Central Kitchen #ChefsForAmerica – feeding elderly homes and first responders
- Banco de Alimentos de PR (Puerto Rico Food Bank)
- Iniciativa Comunitaria – NGO that helps the homeless (especially those in need of rehab)
- Albergue el Paraíso – NGO also feeding the homeless and undocumented immigrants
- El Comedor de la Kennedy – community kitchen
- Centro Ramón Frade – serving the needs of seniors in a mountain municipality
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSE EFFORTS
- BCBS Puerto Rico is taking a comprehensive approach to continue to analyze and support expanding operations to address food preparation and distribution throughout Puerto Rico.
- Additionally, BCBS Puerto Rico is providing PPE to providers, nursing homes and vulnerable populations, specifically seniors.
- BCBS Puerto Rico S has invested in a public education campaign on the virus and how to combat it in print, digital, radio and TV, specifically requesting seniors to stay home.
- A video series for social media was developed featuring BCBS Puerto Rico’s Chief Medical Officer as the host, educating the community on telehealth and protecting your family from the virus.
- The health plan partnered with a vendor to launch a meal delivery service which can be ordered without upfront payment.
- Care packages of fresh produce have been delivered to some of the health plan's most vulnerable members throughout the island.
- BCBS Puerto Rico also created a video series for social media featuring a financial advisor on topics such as personal finances during the crisis, applying for unemployment benefits, health plan options (Cobra, individual and Medicaid) and other topics.
- The health plan held a series of live events for brokers and commercial clients about COVID-related topics. Hosted by the Commercial Sales VP, it featured BCBS Puerto Rico's Chief Medical Officer discussing current data on the incidence and outcomes of the disease, actions taken, telehealth tools, prevention and reopening businesses. The Chief Financial Officer spoke about the impact on claims, anticipated scenarios and the economic outlook.
- A wide offering of virtual entertainment to combat loneliness and depression among its Medicare Advantage population has kept seniors engaged with workouts, crafts, comedy, cooking lessons, music and other programming on the Triple-S Advantage Facebook page.
- As one of the largest employers in the private sector in Puerto Rico, BCBS Puerto Rico launched an epidemiologic study of its employees and immediate family members. Participation is voluntary and results will be shared with the government, private sector and the scientific community to contribute to the knowledge of Covid-19 on the island.
BlueCross BlueShield of Puerto Rico is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, an association of independent, locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.